<

Up Here In My Tree

I'm trading stories with the leaves.

Book

Film

Album

Memory Bank

Other things
Sunday, August 13, 2006
Comedy Nostalgia
Recently I have been reminiscing with Neath about some of the comedies that were on in our youth. This all started when we came across some material from one of our favourite shows, Fist of Fun. It turns out, that there is very little material left from the original series and consequently it is very unlikely that there will ever be a DVD of the series (which is a damn shame). Anyway, this got me thinking about other old comedies that I enjoyed when I was growing up. From the age of around 12/13 I discovered Monty Python and I was totally hooked. My parents thought it was a little strange and couldn't understand why I liked it so much. I developed a passion for comedy that was a little surreal or that played with the language. It was this passion that led me to Fry & Laurie. Stephen Fry is one of my two favourite people in the entire world. It is a tie between him and Will Self. I only wish I could have 0.1% of their wit and intelligence. Unfortunately, I do not.

I did actually get to meet Will Self on one occasion. He was doing a book reading/signing at a local bookshop and I was, of course, eager to go. So there I sat, listening to the great man speak, almost wetting myself at the prospect that I may get to speak to him (I wasn't this excited when I met Terry Pratchett). When he finished, we all patiently waited in line for him to sign copies of the books we brought with us. I stood in the queue racking my brains. What could I say that would make an impression? Something witty. Something clever. Something that would make him look at me and say, 'Hey, let's go for a beer afterwards and discuss the meaning of life'. The moment came, I was at the front. I opened my mouth, and said:

'That was really good.'


Fuck. I meet one of my heroes and that's the best I can manage. Well done. You now look like a total prat. God I hate my brain.

So anyway, back to the point of this long, dull post. Isn't it funny how the things you find funny when you're younger, don't make you laugh anymore. I mean the sketches that had me in stitches on A Bit Of.... when I was younger, I now find deeply dull. And yet, the sketches I found dull when I was younger I now find hilarious beyond all belief. Some may say that is because I am deeply dull. I like to think it is because I am more sophisticated. But then, my brain does not have a good track record, as Mr Self would no doubt testify.
posted by korova @ 8:33 pm  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: korova
Home:
About Me:
See my complete profile
Recently played
Previous Posts
Archives
Other Blogs
music quilt
further distractions
books I have read
On the MD/WMP

Stats

Powered By:

Powered by Blogger

Template by

Free Blogger Templates