<

Up Here In My Tree

I'm trading stories with the leaves.

Book

Film

Album

Memory Bank

Other things
Monday, January 01, 2007
¡Feliz Año Nuevo!
Man these Spaniards are crazy!!! We arrived in Spain yesterday morning, welcomed by warm, bright sunshine (in stark contrast to cold, wet England). Normally, we just spend New Year with the in-laws, but this year was going to be different, we were going out to party as well. That sounds like fun, but then spending a night with people I can barely understand and who, when hearing my attempts at Spanish, just laugh in my face is not exactly my idea of 'fun'.

Anyway, the festivities began at around 9pm. I say festivities, it was a good four hours of solid eating!! Spain is definitely the place to see in the New Year with chronic indigestion!! And to make matters worse, at 12am, as each bell tolls for the New Year, you have to speed eat twelve grapes!! Then you have the indignity of having to wish a happy new year, whilst with a mouth full of grapes. It doesn't go down well when you accidently spit a half-chewed grape onto your mother-in-laws face (although, in some households, it might be welcomed!).

After the eating marathon, it started to dawn on me, weren't we going out tonight as well?? Yes, we were, at 1.30am. The time when most English people are staggering home. Yes, when most English people will be finding an appealing looking bush to piss in, I will be going out stone, cold sober!! And we did. We arrived at some random person's house and proceeded to 'party'. Or rather, I decided to stand in the corner and pretend to look interested as the Spaniards gabbled away in a volume that could best be described as 'ear splitting'. If you have never experienced a room full of Spaniards, try to avoid it, it is very, very loud!! The shocking thing about this party was that, despite the fact it was a party, there was no beer!! Particularly tragic given that normally I have to drive everywhere and now, when I can be totally irresponsible, I was being taunted by a bottle of coke. There were spirits everywhere (not ghosts, the drinks!), but the only spirit I can stomach is Uncle Jack's finest. This was to be a long night!!

Luckily, I got talking to my wife's best friend's boyfriend (who I had thought was deeply dull) who actually proved to be rather entertaining. It was rather weird listening to this Spanish man, who dresses very conservatively with v-neck sweaters etc, start peppering his English with a plethora of swear words! Suddenly, everything has changed! I then discovered he was a big Audioslave fan, as well as most of the other bands I liked - salvation at last. In fact, most of the room nodded with approval when they discovered I was a big Radiohead fan. Aaaahhh, the warm glow of acceptance.

Sadly, I didn't get to practice my Spanish much. By the time we got home, it was around 5.30am and I had been awake for 25 hours!!! Can you imagine anyone being bothered to speak another language when their brain is screaming at them to go to sleep?? Well, I couldn't! That's for today, after I have recovered from my severe bout of New Year indigestion!!

So, what's the point of this post? I guess there is no point, but I feel better for sharing it, so boo sucks to you!! I guess all that is left for me to say is:

¡Feliz Año Nuevo!

Hope you all have a great 2007!!
posted by korova @ 1:13 pm  
3 Comments:
  • At 1/01/2007 10:56 pm, Blogger The Neath said…

    Happy New Year Korova!

    Glad you were able to find a like minded music fan to talk to at the party.
    : )

     
  • At 1/02/2007 4:40 pm, Blogger korova said…

    Thanks neath, coming right back at ya with the New Year thing! And perhaps next time you should give the grape thing a go!!

     
  • At 1/03/2007 10:49 pm, Blogger The Neath said…

    That did make me chuckle.

    Sod the grapes I'll just spit in their faces!
    : D

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: korova
Home:
About Me:
See my complete profile
Recently played
Previous Posts
Archives
Other Blogs
music quilt
further distractions
books I have read
On the MD/WMP

Stats

Powered By:

Powered by Blogger

Template by

Free Blogger Templates