<

Up Here In My Tree

I'm trading stories with the leaves.

Book

Film

Album

Memory Bank

Other things
Tuesday, August 29, 2006
It's All Gone A Bit Pete Tong
Well, if all had gone according to plan, you would have seen some lovely photos of Bath right now. However, things did indeed go tits up, so instead you just have me rambling on, killing time. I was so pissed off. The wife and I decided to take a last minute trip to Bath (I have never been before, she has) which I was looking forward to. I have heard so much about the city, it sounded like a really beautiful place to wander around and soak up some of the history.

Things started to go a bit wrong when we arrived at the hotel. Expedia got its times wrong, and so we had to wait around for an hour or so while they got our room ready. Fair enough, no problem, we could still get some lunch. It was around this time that something dawned on me, something truly shocking that I thought I would never recover from...........I forgot to set the video to record Pearl Jam at Reading. Their first ever festival performance in the UK, and I wasn't even going to get to see it on TV - disaster!!!! This was a once in a lifetime performance, what was I going to do??? Well, I thought, shit happens let's enjoy the break and have a good time. But then the second thing struck me.......although I had charged up the battery for my digital camera, I had left it 200 miles away at my house!! So now I can't take any photos!! And, as I am sure my wife will testify, I need my camera! It's just not the same otherwise....I felt so.....so....empty inside, like some evil Ant or Dec clone.

Anyway, we resolved the camera problem by buying a little disposable camera (which I hate) and taking lots of photos, each time looking at the back to see the photo I had just taken......doh!! I have no idea how good the photos will be when they come out, but I guarantee they will not be as good as my digital. Anyway, I will post the results when I get them done, hopefully they will give a taste of Bath.

The day ended with a positive, as I got to see the Pearl Jam performance after all. We had satellite in our room (something I don't have at home) so instead of getting a few clips, I had an hour long Pearl Jam set to enjoy. What pleasure!! And what a performance!! Of course, the trendy BBC types tried to make out that they have all been PJ fans for years. Yeah right, is that why you never play their tracks ever (Zane Lowe excepted, as he actually seems to be a PJ fan)??? And why you are infatuated with here today, gone tomorrow tosh like Keane, Kaiser Chiefs and alike??? I really noticed the difference between the darlings of the media circuit and PJ. Most of them were devoid of passion and you can say what you like, Pearl Jam certainly have passion in abundance. Incidentally, the one thing their performance showed to me was how Mike McCready has developed over the years. Their last album is clearly driven by his fantastic guitar work (in fact, I would say this is 'his' album) and his confidence has grown immeasurably since the early days. The bit where he played guitar behind his head during Even Flow, was fantastic.

My week is bound to get increasingly more satisfactory as we approach the launch of Charlotte Church's new show. Did I say satisfactory??? I meant incendiary. I will torch the whole of Wales if I have to be subjected to this unique piece of awfulness. And that, my friends, is a promise.
posted by korova @ 5:05 pm  
5 Comments:
  • At 8/29/2006 5:44 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    EXPEDIA? Be careful with EXPEDIA. They ruined my trip and they tried to steal money from my credit card for an airline ticket they failed to deliver. Later I found that Big travel agencies like EXPEDIA have a lot of complaints. EXPEDIA is listed in the top ripoff link at the bad business bureau ( http://www.ripoffreport.com ) and has two "dedicated" websites due to poor customer support and lies: http://www.victimsofexpedia.com and http://www.shameonexpedia.com

    Kind regards

     
  • At 8/29/2006 5:44 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    EXPEDIA? Be careful with EXPEDIA. They ruined my trip and they tried to steal money from my credit card for an airline ticket they failed to deliver. Later I found that Big travel agencies like EXPEDIA have a lot of complaints. EXPEDIA is listed in the top ripoff link at the bad business bureau ( http://www.ripoffreport.com ) and has two "dedicated" websites due to poor customer support and lies: http://www.victimsofexpedia.com and http://www.shameonexpedia.com

    Kind regards

     
  • At 8/29/2006 5:58 pm, Blogger AlieMalie said…

    so ... did you like Bath? it is indeed a very gorgeous city.

    :)
    AM

     
  • At 8/29/2006 10:56 pm, Blogger korova said…

    hey aliemalie - yeah, it was very nice....particularly enjoyed the Roman Baths. Also saw the new baths that they have just completed, but didn't have time to actually use them!! The city itself was pretty impressive. In some ways it is very similar to where I live, in other ways quite different....but as I will not say where I live, that probably won't mean much to anyone!!!

     
  • At 8/29/2006 10:59 pm, Blogger korova said…

    Anon - I wasn't aware that there was such a movement against Expedia. So far I have had no real problems (unlike some people, clearly) when I have booked through them. However, I do ensure that I research the place I am going to in order to reduce the chances of any problems. Thanks for the links though, I am always interested to read about how the big guys are screwing us around. Major corporations get away with far too much, so it is always good to hear about people fighting back.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: korova
Home:
About Me:
See my complete profile
Recently played
Previous Posts
Archives
Other Blogs
music quilt
further distractions
books I have read
On the MD/WMP

Stats

Powered By:

Powered by Blogger

Template by

Free Blogger Templates