<

Up Here In My Tree

I'm trading stories with the leaves.

Book

Film

Album

Memory Bank

Other things
Sunday, April 08, 2007
Egg-cellent
So it's Easter. Doesn't mean much to me. Of course, I still bought my wife a little Easter surprise but I wasn't expecting anything in return. Typically, she surprised me this morning and actually gave me a chocolate egg. Fortunately, it was an organic chocolate egg (she knows me so well!!), but it left me feeling a little awkward. Of course I accepted it graciously, but it niggled away at me. This is just commercial. It means nothing else other than a nice piece of (organic) chocolate to munch on.

It's difficult to know what to do. After all, Easter eggs are just part of a marketing campaign by the chocolate companies. One of my sisters asked me the other day what the point of giving an Easter egg is, what does it represent? To be honest, I haven't got a clue. I fed her some crap about it representing the resurrection of Christ (what with the egg signifying birth and all that) and she seemed to buy it (my reputation as font of all knowledge is intact!!). According to Wikipedia:

In Christian times the egg had bestowed upon it a religious interpretation, becoming a symbol of the rock tomb out of which Christ emerged to the new life of His resurrection. It can also represent the darkness inside the tomb inside a hollow egg. Over the years it progressed that the egg, representing spring and fertility, would be merged into an already pagan springtime festival. Connecting this symbol to Christ’s Resurrection in the spring required much creativity and human reasoning.

So I was close. Either that, or someone else has been bluffing and posted it as an entry on Wikipedia.

Sadly, I am destined to always have to acknowledge Easter (it would be a bit harsh to ignore it when you are married to a Christian). However, not all commercial days are the same. I have agreed with my wife that Mother's and Father's Days will not be observed when we start pro-creating (oh, sounds so romantic, eh?). Which I take as a particularly satisfying victory. After all, they are probably the most pointless celebrations in the entire calender. Well, unless you count Administrative Professionals Day® that is (April 25th this year if you had forgotten).

While I'm here, I have an opportunity to share a couple of photos from a recent trip to London. I took my wife to see Chicago in the West End for her birthday recently. I actually hate musicals, but we had a good time (and the female lead was pretty hot!!) and the weather was great which always helps!

The Princess Diana Memorial, Hyde Park
Houses of Parliament.  Home to corrupt policians.

Labels: , , , , , ,

posted by korova @ 4:59 pm  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: korova
Home:
About Me:
See my complete profile
Recently played
Previous Posts
Archives
Other Blogs
music quilt
further distractions
books I have read
On the MD/WMP

Stats

Powered By:

Powered by Blogger

Template by

Free Blogger Templates