<

Up Here In My Tree

I'm trading stories with the leaves.

Book

Film

Album

Memory Bank

Other things
Saturday, January 06, 2007
Oh, The Guilt
Now, you guys who know me from my more political site will know that I have no time for advertising. However, sometimes there comes a time where you have to say that something needs bigging up.

Some time ago, after many arguments with the wife, we started to swap our household cleaning to Ecover. Although it meant slightly more expense, it was an environmental decision. They produce natural cleaning products that are fully recyclable and are kind to the environment. So far, we have changed to their washing-up liquid, floor soap and washing tablets. It kinda eases the guilt of the destruction of the environment.

Anyway the only reason I mention this is due to this post I read at another website. At first I was slightly concerned as I felt that they were going to be exposed as yet another corporate lie. Luckily, it turned out not to be the case. It turns out there there was some misleading information on one of their products. Not only did they promise to change the labeling, they also sent the complainant an email with the new label design! I was so impressed that they responded in such a way. Most corporations would fob the complainant off with some bullshit, but no, they actually went out of their way to solve the problem. Cue relief on my part.

I guess I am acting as some kind of PR for Ecover but, in a world of corporations who couldn't give a shit, I think they deserve a mention. Also, as far as I can tell, their efforts at PR are pretty poor. They are not exactly a renowned brand as yet (perhaps unsurprising given the dominance of certain players in the industry). As far as I am concerned, if you are worried about the environment, you should start switching to Ecover as soon as possible. If you really do care, ditch Fairy Liquid and buy Ecover. If not, continue to screw the environment by buying products riddled with harmful chemicals.
posted by korova @ 11:15 pm  
3 Comments:
  • At 1/07/2007 2:58 pm, Blogger Sarah said…

    Thanks for the heads-up - it's interesting to know that they will respond positively to customers, though I wasn't surprised they had to be pushed into it; all companies seem to have that kind of inertia.

    Re: changing to them for ecological reasons: yes, absolutely, but they'll never get a huge proportion of the market share a) because they're bloody expensive (something like £4.70 for the washing liquid versus £3.20 for something like Persil, though it may well be the market to blame there), and b) because some of their products aren't as effective as their non-eco counterparts - the washing-up liquid, for example. Yes, I know it's not full of solvents, but that's why it doesn't tackle grease as well as, say, Fairy. It's only going to be the devoted eco-brigade who are going to bother to take the time to work out alternative strategies to get the same results.

     
  • At 1/07/2007 3:58 pm, Blogger korova said…

    Hey Sarah, thanks for the comments. I take on board what you are saying about the cost of the products, but in my experience this is not always the case. For example, Ecover Washing-up Liquid is £1.75 for 1 litre and Fairy is £1.87 per litre. Dettol Multi-Action Spray Green Apple 500ml is £1.99 and Ecover Squirteco All Purpose Cleaner 500ml is £1.99. Of course, some products are more expensive, but this is down to the market. As it grows in popularity, so the price will come down and competitors will emerge and, with any luck, the old favourites will be the less favourable option.

    As for effectiveness, I have barely noticed the difference between Ecover and Fairy/Persil. As far as I can tell, it cleans just as effectively. Besides, we managed before these super cleaners arrived on the scene, so I am sure we can manage without them, a bit of elbow grease never hurt anyone (now I sound like my dad!!!!).

    Anyway, rant over!! Now I just have to wait for my cheque from Ecover!!! :-)

     
  • At 5/25/2007 9:55 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks for the link!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: korova
Home:
About Me:
See my complete profile
Recently played
Previous Posts
Archives
Other Blogs
music quilt
further distractions
books I have read
On the MD/WMP

Stats

Powered By:

Powered by Blogger

Template by

Free Blogger Templates