<

Up Here In My Tree

I'm trading stories with the leaves.

Book

Film

Album

Memory Bank

Other things
Tuesday, February 13, 2007
A Victim Of A Commercial Massacre
It's that time of year again, when star crossed lovers revel in the commercial jamboree. I really resent Valentine's Day, more so now I'm older and wiser (ok, maybe not the latter). I look back now on a youth wasted chasing after unattainable women, hoping one would send me something, anything on Valentine's Day. Sadly, I never received a single card. Not one damn card. Not even a joke card from friends keen to toy with my emotions. Oh, I sent cards. I sent many cards, all to no avail. One time, my friends at uni persuaded me to write a card to someone with cryptic clues that they would then have to figure out to guess it was me. She never did (as far as I know). What an empty life I led. All that time wasted in the pursuit of the unattainable.

As I have gotten older, and my views on the world have developed, I see it as nothing more than n exercise to make money. Like Mother's and Father's Days, it is a superficial construct based on shallow emotions. However, this is where I have a problem (a problem shared by most men I suspect). If I had my way, I would shun this festival of shallowness and leave it for other people but I am in an impossible situation. If my wife and I were to agree to ignore the whole event, you can guarantee she would be upset if I didn't then buy her a card. And how much of a bastard would I look to the people she works with?? Or her family?? I would be bottom of the heap, heartless scum. I have got her to agree that when we have children, we will not enforce the whole Mother's/Father's Day routine on them. In fact, we will encourage them to ignore it. But as for ourselves, I guess we will keep sending each other stupid little cards and buying each other little presents in the hope of appearing vaguely romantic (which is very important when you get married). Anyway, I guess I better go wrap her present up in some tasteless, 'romantic' wrapping paper. And who knows, my wife may even dress up for me.........

posted by korova @ 2:20 pm  
3 Comments:
  • At 2/13/2007 7:40 pm, Blogger AlieMalie said…

    ooooh, i love the new template. yessss.

    as for valentine's day ... my friends and i do the anti-valentine's thing and get together with some girls and watch movies. no money, no roses, no corny cards, no chocolate. well, maybe some chocolate, but none of the Hallmark crap.

    sooo, um, let us know if a badger makes an appearance. haha.

     
  • At 2/13/2007 9:49 pm, Blogger korova said…

    Good to hear you avoid the 'Hallmark crap'!! Of course, I will keep you informed on the badger situation!! Is that a new profile photo (did you have one before??)??

     
  • At 2/15/2007 7:53 am, Blogger AlieMalie said…

    yes to both. new and improved. :)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: korova
Home:
About Me:
See my complete profile
Recently played
Previous Posts
Archives
Other Blogs
music quilt
further distractions
books I have read
On the MD/WMP

Stats

Powered By:

Powered by Blogger

Template by

Free Blogger Templates