<

Up Here In My Tree

I'm trading stories with the leaves.

Book

Film

Album

Memory Bank

Other things
Tuesday, September 12, 2006
A Visit to the Country
I haven't been feeling to great the past couple of days, so consequently I have posted little about my recent exploits in Spain - until now (cue evil laugh - HAHAHA). On Saturday, we left Seville to go and stay overnight at the in-laws house in the country (how bourgeois!). It is, needless to say, a beautiful and peaceful spot where you feel you can get away from the lights of the city and just chill. That is, until you meet your wife's uncle. It would appear that his favourite pastime is drinking lots of alcohol, talking very loudly, slapping you on the arm/back/head and then singing Spanish drinking songs. Aaahh, the peace of the countryside.

Seriously, it was bloody hard work. As I have said before, the Spanish are particularly keen on being very loud and expressive but this went far beyond that. Imagine, if you will, barely understanding a language and then having to listen to said language for several hours with the volume turned way up beyond what is normally acceptable, while four people all try to talk over one another. Welcome to the Spanish experience. Of course, feeling particularly unwell, I found it very difficult to join in the festivities so I did my usual 'quiet man in the corner' routine, hoping I would be left alone. No chance! Then, the crazy Spanish uncle (we all have one, don't we? Admit it, there is one somewhere hidden away) burst into song. To which my wife then looked at me, obviously embarrassed, before trying to join in so that he doesn't look so silly (she's a kind hearted soul). Upon finishing (phew), the uncle then turned to me and asked:

'What drinking songs do you sing in England?'

Well, I was at a loss I can tell you. Being a football fan, I know many a drunken football song, but a grand total of 0 are appropriate for a casual chat with the wife's family. The best I could do was make a (admittedly feeble) attempt at humour:

'Well, we don't really have drinking songs....we just have a fight!'

At this point I was expecting there to be at least a small giggle. However, as I looked around the table, all I saw was people slowly nodding in resigned agreement. So there we go, they really do believe that we get drunk and have a fight. Brilliant.

The rest of the time we spent in the country I was mainly imagining new and exciting ways that we would come to our deaths in the middle of nowhere. I thinks this stems from watching Assault on Precinct 13 once. I consequently believed that we were going to be attacked with machine guns by a bunch of wild youths. Failing that, I thought we would be victim to some kind of Blair Witch type horror. Hey, your mind runs wild when you are in the middle of nowhere where the nearest populated area is 5kms away, ok?? Anyway, much to my disappointment, I didn't wake up in some bushman's garage nailed to the walls (Wolf Creek) and life continued as normal. Bugger.

Anyway, things I miss about England (hard to believe, but true nonetheless!!):

  • The news. Out here I only get Fox News or Sky News, either way it is Murdoch style bilge.
  • Curries - Mmmmmmmmm. With mango chutney and coriander naan bread.
  • The feeling that I will not burn to death in my own home. I cannot understand why all these houses in Spain have bars on their first floor windows. Surely the amount of deaths from house fires must be massive??? According to my wife, it is due to crime but I am sure houses in London don't have bars on the windows. This is not a prison, it's your home!!
  • The noise level.
  • The fact that people only use their car horns sparingly, rather than as some kind of soundtrack to the city.
  • The weather.

Actually, the last one was a lie!! Anyway, for your entertainment (except Wes for some strange reason) I have added some more pictures:


The country
If you look closely, you can see the bushman's hideout
View from the house
In the distance you can see the nearest village - to the right
posted by korova @ 11:14 am  
7 Comments:
  • At 9/13/2006 4:57 am, Blogger wes said…

    lol, this is so bizziare. :)

    I seroiusly can not see them, they just don't show up on my screen. :)

     
  • At 9/13/2006 2:08 pm, Blogger AlieMalie said…

    that's because you're supposed to go see it all in person!

     
  • At 9/13/2006 6:08 pm, Blogger korova said…

    At least it will give you a good excuse to do some more travelling!! Admit it Wes, I am tantalising you with these non-existent photos, aren't I??!!

     
  • At 9/13/2006 9:20 pm, Blogger The Neath said…

    Does Wes still think you are putting photos up on your blog?

    How long do you think you can keep the pretense up for before he realises?
    : )

    It is pretty weird though. Why is Wes' computer trying to deny the existence of Spain?

     
  • At 9/13/2006 10:17 pm, Blogger korova said…

    I don't know about that Neath. As a Canadian I am sure that if his computer was likely to deny the existence of any country, it would be the fascist regime to the south!!

     
  • At 9/14/2006 3:34 am, Blogger wes said…

    LOL, it seems as though I am the subject of conversation over here. :p

    Same thing happens at work, people are always talking about me when I am not around. I must be really interesting or something. :p

    And btw, the pics showed up today. Crazyness. :)

     
  • At 9/14/2006 2:14 pm, Blogger AlieMalie said…

    haha, "the fascist regime to the south."

    dude, you should know that Canada is really just the 51st state. especially now with Harper.

    mwuahahaha.

    :)
    AM

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: korova
Home:
About Me:
See my complete profile
Recently played
Previous Posts
Archives
Other Blogs
music quilt
further distractions
books I have read
On the MD/WMP

Stats

Powered By:

Powered by Blogger

Template by

Free Blogger Templates