<

Up Here In My Tree

I'm trading stories with the leaves.

Book

Film

Album

Memory Bank

Other things
Wednesday, August 16, 2006
The Youth of Today (or, 'Am I Getting Old?')
Do you know what pissed me off at this time of year when I was at school? It was those arseholes who would say that exams are getting easier and that the 'youth of today' are actually only slightly more intelligent than an amoeba. I would get most upset about this kind of slur by a bunch of jealous middle-aged tossers who sat in an office all day trying to think of something to write for their newspaper, before regurgitating the same article that was written the previous year. I would fondly imagine ramming my A-Level text books up their fat, sweaty arses and asking them to calculate the force on a complex system of pullies (it seemed like useful information at the time - I mean, admit it, you to have looked at a system of three pullies and wondered what force is being exerted. Don't give me that blank look, you know you have). They were, in short, scum sucking arse monkeys. At least I thought they were.

I now have the slight suspicion that I am turning into an arse monkey myself (admittedly an unappealing thought). I get royally hacked off by hearing these oh-so-proud mothers mouthing off about how many pissy A grades their arse-licking children have managed. Oh yes, they waste no opportunity in announcing to the whole world how wonderfully clever their offspring are. Utter bastards. This has nothing to do with my own insecurities, honest guv, I just find them deeply annoying. I feel like slapping them in the face and saying that Johnnie's A grades are worth no more than the quilted arse paper I use in the bathroom, ie not very. Little do they realise that their life is unlikely to be one of networking with high powered business men (or 'rich bastards' as I prefer to call them) or politicians ('lying bastards'). No, their lives will consist of sitting at a till in Tescos and asking Tina if she can fetch the price for a courgette. At best, they will be working in Waitrose and asking Camilla if she can fetch the price of a bottle of extra virgin olive oil.

Maybe exams are getting easier. After all, you could grow up in a crack house, injecting heroin into your eyeballs and still get an A in Media Studies. The problem is, I hate myself for even thinking about it. I don't want to be an arse monkey. I'm too young. I've got my whole life ahead of me. I'm turning into one of those bitter old men who can't accept that maybe the youth of today work a bit harder than I did (which is not hard). Bugger. I'm off to ram a maths book up my arse.
posted by korova @ 6:45 pm  
5 Comments:
  • At 8/17/2006 1:25 am, Blogger wes said…

    lol, I think you are getting old. :)

    I pay no attention to what students are doing these days, maybe its because I was one only 3 months ago. :)

     
  • At 8/17/2006 8:44 am, Blogger The Neath said…

    What do you mean 'getting?'

     
  • At 8/17/2006 5:07 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The standard response (repeated ad infinitum on the radio today) is 'we've worked bloody hard'. Perhaps many have. The coursework may be more and more demanding than in the days of exam-led assessment. But the actual content of the course may be less brain-buggering than it used to be. It was happening already in my day.
    I'm curious. To what extent is the assessment more about 'presentation skills' and similar transferable skills-type bollocks than actual advanced knowledge of the subject.
    The common government line is, of course: 'Your child must serve the Economy (genuflect)'

     
  • At 8/17/2006 8:36 pm, Blogger korova said…

    Wes - you wait until you hit 30!!

    Neath - Don't be rude

    xulub - Looks like you are next with the maths book, just as soon as i remove it from my arse!! :-)

     
  • At 8/18/2006 11:28 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Make sure you wash it first. I hope you remembered to laminate the cover.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: korova
Home:
About Me:
See my complete profile
Recently played
Previous Posts
Archives
Other Blogs
music quilt
further distractions
books I have read
On the MD/WMP

Stats

Powered By:

Powered by Blogger

Template by

Free Blogger Templates