<

Up Here In My Tree

I'm trading stories with the leaves.

Book

Film

Album

Memory Bank

Other things
Thursday, February 15, 2007
Kurt Vonnegut - Discovered at Last
I have just finished reading Kurt Vonnegut's A Man Without A Country and what a fantastic read it was too. I have never read anything by Vonnegut before and, on the strength of this book, I wish I had picked up one of his much earlier. Essentially, the book is a brief look at the world from Vonnegut's perspective. His comments on the state of play in America are both amusing and insightful. My favourite extract is when he quotes Lincoln's attack on President Polk over the invasion of Mexico:


Trusting to escape scrutiny, by fixing the public gaze upon the exceeding brightness of military glory - that attractive rainbow, that rises in showers of blood - that serpent's eye, that charms to destroy - he plunged into war.


Over the course of 150 years, only the names have changed. Anyway, I heartily recommend picking this one up at some point. It's a pretty quick read so it's handy if you don't have the time to plough through a more substantial book. It also manages to find humour in amongst the dregs of the modern world, no mean feat. So, if anyone could recommend anything else by Vonnegut, I would be most grateful
posted by korova @ 9:45 pm  
2 Comments:
  • At 2/16/2007 2:00 am, Blogger AlieMalie said…

    so how'd the badger go on valentine's? report please!

    as for expectations, i don't have many. though i'm fully prepared for at least one of you to show up as a cross between a badger and a cow.

    heh. maybe i'll show up as a bee and scare the hell outta Neath.

     
  • At 2/18/2007 4:21 pm, Blogger korova said…

    the badger went down very well thanks, as expected!! A cross between a cow and a badger?? That's got me thinking!!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: korova
Home:
About Me:
See my complete profile
Recently played
Previous Posts
Archives
Other Blogs
music quilt
further distractions
books I have read
On the MD/WMP

Stats

Powered By:

Powered by Blogger

Template by

Free Blogger Templates